How To Deal With Toxic Family Members, Friends, & Others
Browse Counseling Categories
Articles by Patricia Jones, M.A.
How to deal with toxic individuals:
If you are experiencing toxic individuals in your life just realize that:
* ALL people have toxic people in their lives, so you are not alone in this. Every person walking the earth knows at least one toxic person in their life. The toxic person may be a family member, friend, or someone you work with, and could even be your supervisor or boss. Toxic individuals come in all shapes and forms. They can be old, young, rich or poor. It does not matter what their background is. Realize that until you stop allowing a toxic person to hurt you and your life, they will continue to do so.
* The most important thing to remember is that you have the power to stop a toxic person. You do this by controlling your own actions and reactions. As you already know, you cannot control the actions of other people. But you can control yourself and your life. You have the power to walk away from a toxic person and not allow them into your life anymore. People can only do to us what we allow them to do.
* Do not associate with Toxic People any more than you have to. Only associate with those who make you feel good about yourself and those who do not put you down, or criticize you, or bring negativity into your life. Stay around positive people.
* Stop all contact with these types of people who hurt you and move towards those who love you and make you feel good about yourself. Remove yourself as their "target." Get out of their "radar range." This is one of the best gifts you can ever give to yourself.
* Remember that toxic people are extremely dangerous to your own soul. You actually can sense that they are EVIL.
* A toxic person is poisoness to you. Treat them as such. Just take notice of how you feel when you are around one of these individuals. You will immediately feel sick and may even experience physical symptoms like a headache or like you are going to be very sick. Or you will just feel like you are going crazy, and have lost control of the situation. When you feel this way, this is a clue that they are toxic to you.
* Realize that toxic people are actually evil. And evil is contageous. Therefore, why be around something that is like a disease? It will make you sick.
* They are toxic because of their own problems, not yours. You are not responsible for how they act, they are. You can only control how much you allow them in your life, and to control what you do. You do not have to give them any power over you whatsoever.
* The best thing you can do when dealing with a toxic person is to walk away from them and not allow them to hurt you anymore. If you have to, change jobs,or move, or remove all ways they could find you. Have no contact with them even if they are a member of your family or another relative or your next door neighbor. Since they are toxic to you, think what you would do, or how you would react if some toxic substance came into your area of life. Like a poisoness gas. Would you hang around and breath it in?
If you would like help or advice on how to deal with the toxic individuals in your life, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or telephone counseling. See below for instructions on how to contact me.
Copyright © 2006 - 2021 Dove Christian Counseling Center. All Rights Reserved
We accept PayPal and all other major credit or debit cards. Once you hit the PayPal button it will allow you to pay with PayPal or another major credit or debit card. No PayPal account is required
Act as if they are invisible!