Mental Illness - Page Two
Browse Counseling Categories
Articles by Patricia Jones, M.A.
But when it comes to "mental illness" they have done autopsies on the brains of society's most evil and horrendous killers and found NOTHING in their brains that would look abnormal from your brain. Their brains were NORMAL. So what was it that caused them to act so abnormal and evil? Pure and simple, it was SIN.
Jesus taught that the primary cause of sickness in the world was a force of evil loose in the world which was hostile to God and the divine way. He believed that people sometimes fell into the hands of this power, which then exerted a destructive influence in their lives, morally, psychologically, mentally and physically. You may call this force satan, the devil, evil spirits, demons, autonomous complexes, or what you will. But it is NOT mental illness. There is no such thing, according to the Bible and to Jesus and to God.
The bottom line is the only protection against the invasion of this evil into the personalities of men and women is to be filled with God's Holy Spirit. Sickness and disease never come from God. They come from the devil. And without God's spirit living inside of you, the human being, on their own is helpless in keeping the devil out of their lives. We need Jesus' and God's help every single day to keep evil from us or from getting into us. The part that is under our control is our decision to ask for God's protection and help, or to choose to do it on our own, which is when we get into trouble because without Jesus we are powerless against the devil.
In the Lord's prayer we say, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from Evil." So evidently we can be tempted and evil is a reality that we need prayer for to be delivered and protected from on a daily basis.
There is another scripture that states that the "sins of the fathers will be passed down to the third and fourth generations." Meaning that if someone practiced witchcraft or some other form of evil in a family, that sin will be passed down for three or four generations. Future generations will be influenced by that sin and practice it.
We are ALL born into this world with original sin. Meaning we come into the world as sinners since the fall of Adam and Eve. And then our spirits are influenced by either God or the Devil our entire lives. When you look at the characteristics of some of these so called mental illness' what the so called mentally ill people are doing is really just committing some sin or sins. Mentally ill people usually hurt themselves or others.
But can we say that the only difference between a "mentally ill" person and one who is not "mentally ill" is that the "mentally ill" actually just SIN more abhorrently than the rest of us do? Their sins are more horrendous, and vicious, and more dangerous than most of the sins that normal people commit. So it is really "degrees of sin" not some mental disease that is in the brain. Science has not been able to find mental disease in the brain. See the video No Science, No Cure, once again which is an admission by Psychiatrists that there is no test, and no cure for the mental disorders that they have labeled people with.
But there is NOTHING in the brain that causes someone to rape, kill, murder, or mutilate another person. It is an evil act, a malignant deliberate act, usually one that is planned and enjoyed. Most serial killers are very sadistic. They enjoy watching others suffer. They get a "rush" out of inflicting pain and they can't wait to do it again and again.
This is not mental illness it is blatant SIN. Thou shalt not murder, God said. He did not say, "you might become so mentally ill that you might murder someone". He said "DON'T MURDER SOMEONE" He said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" the Golden Rule. But people with so called personality disorders do horrible things to other people. They thrive on it. It is their life style, it is their method of relating to others.
Borderline Personality Disorder is all about lying, anger, and rage, and revenge, and manipulating and plotting and planning the downfall of another person. It is about jealousy, and envy, and hatrid, and feelings of abandonment. Anti-social Personality Disorder is all about bullying, and stealing, and lying, and hitting, and torturing animals, or people, which then progresses to having no conscience and on purpose hitting and killing other people. It can take the form of burning down houses, and destroying property, and controlling other people or actually murdering them. Our prisons are full of men with this diagnosis. But the reality is they are not mentally ill. They are just plain evil and they are sinning all over the place.
Domestic Violence is all about power and control. Rape is about anger. Pornography is about lusting after the flesh and using and degrading women. All of these behaviors are SINS. The so-called personality disorders are just a nice way of saying people are sinning and disobeying the Ten Commandments.
Here are the Ten Commandments:
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ( People diagnosed with personality disorders mainly think only of themselves and not others. They put themselves first above all else. Psychology calls them Narcissistic.)
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. ( When you cast spells, and worship idols, even materialists idols, and make them more important than God, you will either cause trouble or get into trouble.)
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. ( When you hurt another human being either physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually or torture an animal you are completely disrespecting God's creation and you are playing God. You are showing no respect for your Creator.)
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee. (When children murder their own parents they are definitely breaking this commandment. And saying that a drug caused you to kill your parents as has been the case in some murders, is a complete cop out) The initial behavior that caused the adolescent to be put on a drug was rebellion against authority, or some other type of sin. And then being put on a drug with CAN ALTER BEHAVIOR just makes things ten times worse.
6. Thou shalt not kill. (Society believes that you must be mentally ill to kill another person. God however says it is a SIN. Nothing more, nothing less.)
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. ( There are several so called personality disorders that most often involve adultery. Borderline Personality Disordered people are sexually amoral and have many partners and marriages. However, once again, God says it is simply SIN. To commit adultery is not because you are mentally ill, but is because you chose to sin.)
8. Thou shalt not steal. (Many mentally ill people steal, destroy property, plan and plot, and scheme. They are not mentally ill, they are just sinners who choose to steal. The Bible calls them thieves. Psychology says they have anti-social personality disorder. The reality is quite different. They are just people who steal and feel no guilt and show no remorse.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. (Psychopaths lie, all the time. Their entire life is one big lie, and they can become whatever they need to pretend to be to fool the next victim. But most of what comes out of their mouths is complete lies. They will kill their own grandmother and not blink an eye if she stands in the way of something that they want. They are suburb actors. They are not mentally ill, they are evil and they sin over and over. And they are very charming, cunning and smart. They know EXACTLY what they are doing. But when they are caught they will claim "insanity." The reality is they usually have very high IQ's.)
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's ( Once again, this is about wanting something that does not belong to you, it is about raping someone's wife, it is about stealing someone's property, it is about envy, and jealousy, and anger and revenge. It is about committing whatever crime one needs to commit to get something that belongs to someone else. Some people will commit murder to get something of someone else's. Psychology calls this Conduct Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, and finally Psychopath. The reality is they are people who think only of themselves, they will kill to get what they want, they can fool even the most competent experts, and they can talk their way out of anything. They are extremely evil and extremely dangerous, but they are NOT mentally ill. They are just SINNERS.
Since psychology is a new science, only about a 100 years old, and religion has been here since the world was created, it is only fair to note that psychology grew out of religion, not the other way around. It is my belief that psychology has just given new names to old ones that have been around for centuries and most notably in the Bible. Rather than label something bad that someone is doing as a SIN, they just give it another name. So instead of saying a person is a liar, they say he is a Psychopath or pathological liar.
If a person goes out and murders someone, and then cuts their body into little pieces and buries it under their house, that is because they CHOSE to do so. They have consistently chosen throughout their life, to do the wrong thing instead of the right thing, and they did so because they actually enjoyed it. Because the Spirit of God is not in them, to prevent them from doing such horrendous things. There are only two Spirits in this world. God's or the Devil's, and we spend our entire life time following one or the other, and we demonstrate which one we are following by our words and actions. Listening to the "still small voice" inside of us, that is guiding us in the right direction is a daily battle that we ALL fight against.
Modern psychology and psychiatry have given people excuses for their sinful behaviors. They make up labels to give people excuses who do horrible things, or they keep them so drugged up, they become like zombies and walk around in circles in psychiatric units muttering to themselves that they are the "Queen of England." They will never get well, because we won't allow them to. We do not tell mentally ill people that their real problem is a "sin problem" not a "brain problem." UNLESS there is a brain tumor that can be tested and seen on an X-ray, then all the other so called disorders are people just sinning and getting away with it.
If you were abused as a child, physically, mentally, emotionally, or sexually, then of course that is going to impact how you feel about life and how you act as an adult. And many molesters were molested themselves as children and many wife beaters were beaten themselves as children. Which is what the Bible means when it says the sins of the fathers are passed down to the third and forth generations. But at some point, it needs to be called what it really is, which is SIN. and the "sin cycle" needs to be broken and healed. You cannot heal someone from a sin problem with medication or by locking them away in an institution or by tying them up in a straight jacket.
In conclusion, I believe that there is no such thing as "mental illness" but there are definitely the desires of the human heart, which can be infinitely evil. However, God has given us "free will" to do the right thing, or the wrong thing. He has given us a built in conscious that convicts us of wrong doing, if we listen to it. If our evil is so great that we have rendered our conscious inoperable, then we are the children of the Devil, not God. Ultimately the choice is ours.
Patricia Jones, M.A.
Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Dove Christian Counseling Center. All Rights Reserved
We accept PayPal and all other major credit or debit cards. Once you hit the PayPal button it will allow you to pay with PayPal or another major credit or debit card. No PayPal account is required